The Best, the Only, and the Unexpected: Hammacher Schemmer, part of The Bradford Hammacher Group family of brands, is a world leader in direct to consumer product marketing. Established in 1848, Hammacher Schlemmer markets a wide array of innovative problem-solving items, unique gifts, and quality merchandise to our customers. Renowned as an innovator, we introduced numerous products to American consumers that were initially considered novelties but are now commonplace, including the pop-up toaster and the microwave oven. Today, our wide range of products includes electronic devices, luxury apparel, home décor, travel accessories, one-of-a-kind gifts and more. We are a uniquely structured medium-sized company large enough to compete in a global market, yet maintains a small company feel with a business casual environment where everyone is on a first-name basis with our President.
We are currently seeking a Senior .NET Developer who will be responsible for all phases of software development, including business requirements, design, coding, testing, documentation, deployment, and production support. This individual will be a senior member of a small, talented development team focused on delivering high quality enterprise caliber systems on the Microsoft cloud platform, primarily in C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server. Primary responsibilities will be to establish the design, estimate the project and drive the application development and implementation efforts of project initiatives. This position will work closely with the Vice President of IT to ensure compliance of standards and alignment with the strategic approach of the Information Service department.
How you will contribute:
Collaborateswith the business and project teams to establish and guide business and technical requirements definition. Creates the overall design of the system and guides component design by mentoring junior members of the team.
Works with the Application VP of IT to validate design changes and understands impacts to system architecture as part of design review process.
- Drive development efforts for enhancement and maintenance of our internally developed systems utilizing object-oriented design techniques and department coding standards.
- Strong proficieniency with our application and database structure, effectively and clearly communicates with internal and external end-users, and provides clear and timely communication to the team on development progress and obstacles.
- Creates and executes application and deployments testing through the creation of unit tests, functional and smoke testing for deployment validation. Create all Change Management requests for implementation of all project changes, planned or unplanned, seeking appropriate business and management approvals and coordinating with the project manager.
- Provide production support of the ecommerce site and internal business applications ensuring high availability, data consistency and accuracy of information.
- Closely monitors website and batch stream performance meeting or exceeding established service levels for business systems data availability.
- Provides support for legacy business systems identifying opportunities for enhancements to features and processes.
Responsible for participating in overnight and weekend on call support rotation resolving business outages or impacts as needed.
What you will bring and skills that excite us:
- Bachelor’s degree in IS or related field
- 3-5 years of software development experience in medium to large size corporate environments with increasing levels of responsibility and complexity of projects and applications
- 3+ years of combined experience in C# and ASP.NET.
- 2-3 years of experience designing and developing SQL Server or Oracle.
- 3-5 years of .NET MVC experience
- Must be extremely proficient in Microsoft .NET development with experience in C# and the .NET Framework.
- Experience with database modeling and schema design
- Expertise with OOP design and development OOP using C#
- Proficient with defining and estimating project tasks.
- Collaborative approach to design issues and problem solving
- Strong ability to balance multiple project initiatives concurrently and experience with all project life-cycle phases including overall system design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to integrate procedural steps and processes with technical requirements and system functions to assure successful delivery of work.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor more junior members of the team
- Ability to work well within a team environment; contribute positively etc.
- Experience with Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and Source Control tools and methodologies.
- Strong understanding of issues faced in large-scale deployments and high-traffic web sites.
- Commitment to quality and excellent customer service to end users
- Performs application debugging, programming, test case development, and testing of applications.
- Proficient with word processing (Microsoft Word), Visio, Internet browsers, and email.
- Strong proficiency in creating technical documentation.
- MS certifications preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Azure Services.
- Experience with ecommerce solutions is preferred, Entity Framework, ASP.NET Core and JQuery is preferred.
- General knowledge of networks and server technologies desirable.
- Experience with High Availability and Disaster Recovery a plus.
- Experience with test driven development and automated testing frameworks for unit, integration and performance testing
- Retail experience is a plus.
- Experience working in the legacy technology environment is helpful.
BHG at a glance:
- Our scale: Hammacher Schlemmer’s corporate headquarters is right outside of Chicago, with our distribution center and customer service teams based near Cincinnati OH. Our flagship store is in New York city, and we have served millions of customers since 1848!
- Compensation and benefits: We offer a competitive compensation plan and great benefits, with some benefits starting from day 1!
- We own the company: BHG is Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) which allows you to not only derive the benefits of working as an employee at The Bradford Hammacher Group, but also gain the benefits of being an owner.
- Professional Development: There is always room to learn! We offer a Professional Development Program, a Mentor Program, and LinkedIn Learning to our teams as well as additional hands-on training and development. Our teams utilize a continuous performance management and development structure for feedback, no dreaded annual reviews. We meet quarterly to focus on the future!
- Our values: Honesty. Innovation. Respect. Teamwork. Giving back. These are just some of the core values that drive our team members. Our team strives to build a culture of continuous feedback where anyone can share and create our “next big idea,” among diverse and inclusive teams.
- Flexibility and wellness: Whether it’s offering hybrid environment (onsite/remote) for our corporate staff, to a generous, front-loaded PTO and holiday package to all staff and corporate wellness initiatives like WW, an annual health fair and an onsite gym, we are committed to our team members well-being. New hires start with 16 days of PTO and 8 paid holidays per year.
- Perks and more: We have a Business Casual Work Environment, Health and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO) Program, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program, Employee Referral Bonus Program, 401(k), Profit Sharing, Tuition Reimbursement, Onsite Cafeteria, Onsite Fitness Center, Corporate WW and Toastmaster’s memberships, a Peer Recognition Program, Product Discounts and more!
Hammacher Schlemmer is an Equal Opportunity Employer